Friday, April 4, 2014

The Weka

Front of a Weka

Side of a Weka
 
 
 
    When we were in Jackson's Retreat, we stayed in a nice, little holiday camp. It was pouring rain that day and we camped under a little  hut (it was so cute!). Anyway, I was looking at the chart of birds in the lounge that only have the South Island birds and I saw a chicken-like brown bird which had the bottom half of a kiwi and the top half that had a long neck and a short beak.
 
    Then I heard my mom say, "Hey, there's a kiwi out here!"
 
    I walked over to the door to see the same bird that was on the charts. I laughed and said," That's not a kiwi that is a Weka."
 
    That same night, Dad went to our tents to get some food when sitting on top of the bin of food was a Weka, trying to peck its way through the plastic. In the morning when I woke up, I heard a low thumping noise. I went outside to see, thinking it was the Weka pecking at the bin again. But, it was just the Weka making a low thumping sound in their throats. After we left in the car I said to my parents, "Those Wekas are mischievousness and curiosity in one little brown ball." 


No comments:

Post a Comment